Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, August 11, 2008

My Birthday

As it turns out, I actually enjoyed my birthday yesterday. I had been looking forward to the date night portion of the day of course, just not the number part of my age changing.
Of course it started off by Bart letting me sleep in, that is always a given, I don't even need to ask. We had a relaxing morning just hanging around the house. Meena came over around two and Bart took me out on the town for the night. We went out to lunch and then to The District, which is supposed to be an outdoor shopping mall, but we weren't too impressed. I think we expected it to be more like the Irvine Spectrum or Fashion Island, but this was about the tenth in size of those with less shopping. We did get a chance to visit the Whole Foods Market, which was huge and it was a good thing we weren't going home afterward because we would have been more tempted to buy some awesome stuff. I do have to say that this was the first time I have ever been in a market just to shop, for a while I felt out of place because I wasn't pushing a cart. Afterward we were off to Laguna Beach which is at peak tour season right now and a perfect time to people watch. Bart is great at listening to languages and accents and telling me where they were from. It is always fun to watch how differently people act, walk, dress and talk. Because we didn't get to LB in time for dinner before the show, we just sat for a little while at people watched. Bart got me tickets for a show at the Laguna Playhouse. Originally we got seats up on the balcony, but because the show wasn't sold out, we were up grade to THE FRONT ROW! It was like they knew it was my birthday or something. We saw a production called "The Marvelous Wonderettes". It was a very funny and entertaining show. It was a play about four girls at their high school prom set in the 1950's. For the second act it was their ten year reunion. During the first act it was time for one of the girls to tell her girlfriends who she had a crush on and it was everyones favorite teacher Mr. Lee. In other words seat A 10. In other other words... Bart's chair!!! It was really fun to watch him turn red when they sang a song to him, but when they pulled him up on stage it was the best part of my day hands down!! They led him up and had him sit on a stool so they could all sing their parts to him. One of the girls moved his arm to put it around her and then jumped in surprised when she pretended he grabbed her rear. Bart was so embarrassed and my cheeks hurt from laughing and smiling so hard. I was wishing I had a camera the whole time. During intermission we walked outside for a few minutes and one of the audience members looked at Bart and said, " Hi Mr. Lee." He smiled and waved and was even more embarrassed. We settled into our seats for the second act and just when Bart thought he could relax... yep you got it... they pulled him up there AGAIN!! This time his High School student, now back for her reunion was telling everyone how she was engaged to Bob... who.. Bob Lee, you know Mr. Lee from High School. It was so awesome. I couldn't have planned it better if I tried. Afterward as were walking out Bart got a response from just about everyone who passed him, "Good Job Mr. Lee!" "Hi Mr. Lee" "Oh, look, it's Mr. Lee" Bart couldn't get out of there fast enough. He was so embarrassed and I enjoyed every minute of it. So, needless to say, this will be a birthday that NEITHER of us will forget for a very LOOONNNGGG time!

5 comments:

J-Dawg said...

Happy Birthday Nicole! We were going to call and wish you a "happy birthday" on Sunday, but we figured you were doing something with the family. How fun that you got a date night with Bart! Sounds like you had a great time. I would have loved to have seen Bart on stage!

Anyway... Just know that we were thinking about you on your special day. :)

chris4arts said...

I work at Laguna Playhouse and stumbled across your blog when searching the internet. I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday at Laguna Playhouse. Sounds like "Mr. Lee" had fun too. I hope to see you at another Laguna Playhouse production.

My Name Is Michelle said...

Happy Birthday!! Sounds like you had a fantastic day!!

Cathleen said...

Happy Happy Birthday to you!! Sounds like it was a blast. I really would have loved to see Bart "performing", where is a camera when you really need one??
Love you guys!!

Happy The Man said...

Great post!